As in all new communities there quickly arose an instinctive need for spiritual services and activities. Without a church, the subdivision was placed under the San Pedro Bautista Parish in San Francisco Del Monte.
The first community mass was celebrated by Rev. Fr. Roberto Manguiat, on a makeshift altar under a Mango tree on a vacant lot at 26 East Maya Drive on May 15, 1955. Every Sunday, thereafter, a group composed of Amelia Borromeo, Felicidad Estrella and Charito Evangelista had to fetch the a preist from the San Pedro Bautista parish to celebrate mass under the same mango tree.
Later, a Jesuit Missionary from China, Rev. Fr. Mario Cian Fraglia was fetched regularly from U. P. Cabanel Hall to celebrate mass for the community.
Actual construction of the first church started on January 1956, designed by Architect Arturo Mañalac. This was located in the center of the community on a 2,000 sq. m lot donated by the developer, the Philamlife Insurance Company with a starting cash fund of PhP 30,000.00
The rest of the construction fund was provided by the Archbishop of Manila His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, the homeowners themselves plus the raffle’s net income under the leadership of Mrs. Amelia V. Borromeo, Sunday collections helped and donations, too, specially the donations from the patrons and sponsors on the day of inauguration.
Sta. Rita de Cascia parish was canonically established by His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos on may 31, 1957 becoming territorially independent of its mother parish, the San Pedro Bautista parish in san Francisco Del Monte.
Originally, the sta. Rita parish was given jurisdiction over:
Project 6 now our Lady Of Mount Carmel Parish
Project 7 Now Christ the King parish
Bago bantay Now Santo Niño parish
Bagong pag-asa Now our Lady of Hope parish
Culiat, U.P. old balara & tolosa Now Parish of the Holy Sacrifice and the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Bulacan street Now part of Santo Cristo de Bungad
St Jude Quasi-parish Nayong kanularan & CCC community
Philam homes (seat of the parish)
On June 2, 1957 the Sta. Rita de Cascia church was inaugurated. The blessing of the church was officiated by His Excellency, Rufino J. Santos Archbishop of Manila who also blessed the image of Sta. Rita on her feast day, May 22, 1957.
Rev. Fr. Amador Cruz was replaced by Msgr. Justino Ortiz on July 1957, who remained in charge of Sta. Rita parish until the first parish priest was appointed and took over on May 1960. he was Rev. Fr. Pedro N. Bantigue who was eventually elevated as the Right Reverend Msgr. He became the parish priest of the largest parish in Archdiocese of Manila. The Sta. Rita parish.
On August 5, 1961, Sta. Rita parish was divided into three (3) parishes. Remaining with Sta. Rita were Philam Homes, Morelos compound, West Triangle homes, RFC compound, West Avenue ( Cavite, catanduanes, Capiz (CCC)), Pag-asa, Tolosa and the National Park with a total population of roughly 18,000. two new parishes were created in September of that year and separated from St. Rita namely Our lady of Mount Carmel in project 6, and Christ the King in Project 7.
When Msgr. Bantigue was transferred to Quiapio church his assistant, Rev. Fr, Antonio Benedicto stayed on to welcome Rev. Fr. Alferdo Reyes as temporary vicar substitube Fr. Reyes was appointed as the second parish priest of Sta. Rita de cascia on august 15, 1961. during his incumbency he further organized the Confraternity of St. Anthony, Daughters of Isabel Holy Name Society and Christian Family Movement.
The chapel in Barrio Pag-asa became Our Lady of Hope parish in June 1966. in December 1967, a chapel was constructed at DBP compound to enable house helpers to hear mass on Sundays. It was also petitioned that the chapel in Bago bantay be made a parish. It is now the Santo niño shrine. The chapel in Nayong Kanluran is now the St. Jude Chaplaincy.
In 1967, Fr Ben Villote become the assistant parish priest of Sta. Rita. He organized the Youth who become active in church activities when he left to become parish priest of Tapas in Taguig, Rizal, fr. Elias Kamile succeeded him as assistant parish priest on November 1969. fr. Rusty Esguerra replaced him on November 1974.
Right Rev Msgr. Reyes served as parish priest of Sta. Rita for 28 years 1961 -1988. he passed away on August 8, 1989
When msgr Reyes retired for health reasons, he was replaced by msgr ceferino sanchez who was installed as the third parish priest on December 31, 1988
During the incumbency of msgr sanchez that the chapel at west triangle home became the hearts of jesus and mary parish and was separated from sta. rita parish.
Msgr. Sanchez was re-assigned as theparish priest of our lady of loreto in sampaloc, manila. He was replace by msgr. Jose “chito” bernardo Jr. on july 16, 2000
As the fifth parish priest of sta. rita, he had the shorest stay in the parish for on april 15, 2001, he was transfer to St. James the Great parish at ayala alabang.
Replacing fr. Chito, as he prefer to be called was msgr. Mylo vergara. Again, he stayed for only one year and eleven months to the parish priest of the parish of the holy sacrifice. With jurisdiction over culiat, u.p., old balara and tolosa.
Rev. fr. Emmanuel sarez parish priest of of the miraculous medal parish was transffered to sta. rita parish on _______. His tenure lasted for ___ years and his visible legacy is the beautiful church yard the landscaped garden, fountain and image of sta rita de cascia which has drawn parishioners to deeper devotion to our patron saint.
The 50th year anniversary of sta. rita parish finds Rev. Fr. Ramon Eloriaga as the seventh parish priest of the Christ-centered community, the philam Homes.
ADDRESS: South Lawin Avenue, Philam Homes, Quezon City
CONTACT NUMBERS: (02) 929-8280, (02) 928-8930
DATE OF ESTABLISHMENT: June 2, 1957
FEAST DAY: May 22
TITULAR: Santa Rita de Cascia
BOUNDARIES: The Whole part of Philam Homes, Quezon City
Most Rev. Pedro N. Bantigue, D.D. (1957-1961)
+Msgr. Alfredo S. Reyes (1961-1988)
Msgr. Ceferino Sanchez (1988-2001)
Msgr. Jose “Chito” Bernardo (2001)
Msgr. Mylo Hubert Vergara (2001-2003)
Fr. Emmanuel O. Sarez (2003-2006)
Fr. Ramon N. Eloriaga (2006-present)
SCHEDULE OF MASSES:
Monday-Saturday: 6:30 am, 6:00 pm
Sundays: 6:00, 7:30, 9:00, 10:30 am, 12:15 nn, 5:00 pm, 6:30 pm
Area Masses: 7:00 am; San Roque I, 8:00 am; San Roque II